How To Make A Student Room A Home


 

How can you bring home with you? 


Maybe no one moves room more than a Uni student. Whether it’s your first year or your final year studying, packing up all your stuff and carting it into halls or your newest rental can feel like an almighty task. But once you’ve got there and you’re all set up with a bed and a desk and your hastily packed collection of clothes, how do you turn this new place into somewhere that feels right? 


We spoke to final year student Jaq Belton about how he uses his favourite candle to make everything feel a little bit more thoughtful. 




 

What’s your favourite candle?

 

After Dark by ÉLAN Home Fragrances – the candle and the diffuser are great. 

 

When do your light your candle? 

 

Well, mostly when someone is coming over and I’m madly cleaning the place up. 

 

What does home mean to you?

 

Well, I guess it’s a feeling. When you’re comfy and there’s good food and you’re with your family. 

 

What advice would you give to someone starting Uni?

 

It goes by before you know it so do as much as possible. Throw yourself into it as much as you can because you can either sit in your room for 3-4 years or you can go and meet as many people as possible and do everything that interests you. I think that’s important – to dig into what gets you excited. The great thing about Uni is that there are so many people that you’re bound to find people with the same interests as you eventually, no matter how niche. 




 

Do you think there are ways to make Uni feel more like home?

 

Yeah, absolutely. I’ve definitely learnt that your room is your haven and the more effort you put into it, not only decorating, but making it clean and comfy, the more you’ll be able to relax. At the end of the day, you’re a long way from home so you’ve got to make the space somewhere that feels good so you can sleep and chill. You have to put the effort in. 

 

What motivates you at Uni? 

 

Simply put, I want to succeed in what I end up doing and I think I need to know as much as possible to do that. I’ve always thought ‘a man who knows something knows he knows nothing at all’ (Eric Badu).  

 

What brings you joy? 

 

I’m a very visual person so being able to see the progress I’ve made makes me feel good – whether that’s in rugby or in academics. Also, my friends. Always my friends. When you have a good bond with someone nothing beats it.




 

Do you think it can take a while to make friends at Uni? 

 

Yeah, for sure. You’ve got to know it takes time but it’s worth it when it happens. When you get to Uni there’s a lot going on and it’s all a bit mad, but I think if you make the effort and have patience people show their true colours and you can make real connections.

 

What does the AFTER DARK candle remind you of? Do you ever get compliments on it?

 

I mean it makes me think of my mum because she got me my first one. But also, it makes me think I’ve got things together. I light it after I’ve tidied my room, as the final step, so it makes me feel as if I’m done for the night. 

 

I get so many compliments – all the boys love it; they think it’s like aftershave for your room. It makes it look and smell good. But it is also sexy and makes me feel sophisticated, and you know what? I’ll take that. 




It feels good when the candle is lit, and someone goes “Aww, your room smells really nice”, and I think thanks Mum

 

 

Jaq’s Top five things to bring to Uni


1.     ÉLAN candle or reed diffuser. Favourite:After Dark. (ÉLAN Home Fragrances)

2.     Pictures of friends (Try the app FreePrints)  

3.     LED lights 

4.     Desk Lamp 

5.     Plants. Ikea has some good fake ones if you’re worried about keeping them alive! (IKEA)

 

 

Comments